02 February 2011

RELECTIONS ON MY CAMINO WALK FROM LE PUY TO LECTOURE

Im in reflection mood. As I walked the Camino from Le Puy I found it difficult from the start. I had a heel problem the two months before I started my walk so I started out not 100% fit. I had not practised walking with a backpack so that this was a completely new experience for me. More than that my backpack was too heavy for me (70 years old), it wasnt packed properly and unbalanced, and the straps were not adjusted properly untill I met Denise from Tasmania who took my pack from me ,adjusted it and carried it for the rest of the day, while I carried her (light) pack. As time went on as I got fitter it became easier for me but was still carrying to much weight in my backpack. But everyday I swung my backpack on and carried it for a 7 hour day, it was wearing down my back without I knowing it. I didnt give myself time to reflect on the toll all this was taking on my body and the near inevitable happened when I got a hernieated disk and ended in Lectoure in considerably pain.

Now back home in Naas, Kildare, Ireland, slowly recovering and realizing all the mistakes that I made- including not seeking advice from more experienced waking friends before I started, I put down these reflection, in the hope that someone embarking on their first Camino walk, will learn from my mistakes.

I look forward to September 2011 when I intend to restart a gentle walk, with a lighter pack, from Lectoure, and continue in the direction of Santiago.

No comments:

Post a Comment