04 May 2013

PORTUGUESE CAMINO FROM LISBON VIA OPORTO TO SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA

Me on the steps of Naas Town Hall after completing 1054 miles of my Camino walk
Yes I am in the planning stage again to continue my Camino walks. My original,  plan in  2010 was to walk 1000 miles (1600km) from Le Puy in France to Santiago de Compostela. This I did via Mater Private Hospital, after I was airlifted home, in severe pain, with a herniated disk which I suffered from in the vicinity of Castet Alour and Lectoure in France . I had to have an operation on my back which allowed me back walking again. I returned to Lectoure in 2011 and walked to Logrono, walking over the Pyreneess in the process. I then returned to Logrono in 2012 and walked to Santiago de Compostela completing my 1000 miles. For some reason I felt that reaching Santiago was a bit of an Anti Climax, so the next morning after reaching my goal of 1000 miles I set out to Finistera a distance of 54 miles ,which I completed in 3 days. On the way to Finistera I met a fellow Irishman, Brendan O Meara from Fermoy in County Cork and we had some fun times.
So now, I have my flights booked for the Portuguese Camino and the Guide Book ordered. I'll be setting off early September 2013, if my health holds up, and I have no reason to suspect that it wont, apart from my age. I will be 73 years old starting the next phase of my Camino adventure and as the saying goes, "old age doesn't come alone) I have had Cancer, I have Degenerative Disk Disease, Arthritis of the Wrists and severe Arthritis in my neck and I have Peripheral Neuropathy. Apart from those small health issues I am in perfect health.
If you care to follow my progress, it would be most helpful to me , if you would comment on my journey, in my Blog. A large number of people check my blog but few people comment, which is disappointing for me.