02 March 2014

From Coimbra to Mealhada

And so on Friday 13th. September I started my Portuguese adventure. Walking out from Coimbra, I wasnt sure if the Camino sign posting in Portugal was adequate, and found out very quickly that , in fact it was very good and easy to follow. What I also found found out early on was that I was on  my own as I didn't see any other Pilgrims. This I didn't mind as I needed to be on my own and prepare myself mentally for what lay ahead. I had dedicated this first day walking to the late  Pat O Reilly, a neighbour, friend and Political rival. So in my quite moments during that day my prayers were for Pat and his family. It was great to be back on the Camino again and settled in nicely to walking the Portuguese countryside. I soon experienced the friendliness of the Portuguese people which was an added bonus for me.

In Mealhada I had reserved a hotel to stay the night so I checked in and rested , as I usually do for 30 minutes on my bed before showering and washing my clothes.
Then around the town, for some sightseeing and coffee. Later that evening I had dinner of Roast Suckling Pig, a local delicacy, in my hotel,
washed down with a local wine. All the other diners were locals

No comments:

Post a Comment